I saw this question in a Facebook tarot group and thought I’d answer here as well. Of course it’s just my opinion. When it comes to tarot the short answer is always: Do what feels right to you.
The question was basically “Sometimes I do a reading and I have a hard time reading the spread. Is it ok to reshuffle and try again?”
This happens to me on occasion. Here are solutions I personally use and others I haven’t tried but have heard about and recommend:
- Take a photo or note down the cards in the spread and revisit it later.
- See if the cards mean anything to your sitter. This may mean explaining the position of the cards and such, but maybe it’s meaningful to them.
- Sure, reshuffle and redo the spread! Maybe even remember what you had before, maybe the 2nd attempt will play off the first one.
- Rephrase the question and do the spread again, or maybe a different spread all together.
- Consult a book, website, or friend. Nothing wrong with getting outside insight.
- Pull some clarification cards for each card you’re stumped on. I actually just recently learned that this was a Thing that readers do (oh, the perils of being isolated in a hobby). I’ve heard of people using the same deck, a different deck, or even an oracle deck to help them understand a card better.
Since I’m mostly reader for myself I’m able to do #1 with no problems and it’s not awkward to pull out a book to try to jumpstart more ideas.
There are obviously going to be other ways to deal with this situation. What do you do? Comment below!